Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Phillip the Hog

When we arrived at Matt's parents house, I was quite surprised to see that they had just started the process in roasting a hog for the block party the next day. Lucky me! But I actually was quite interested in it and decided to take pictures and blog about my first hog roast experience!

**Disclaimer...This is not for the weak stomach...**

The captions for each picture are at the top of the picture. I squished the pics together to make it a bit shorter!

Enjoy! :)

This is how the hog looked at the very beginning. They keep it frozen until use in that plastic bag.
The cooker~"Phillip" as the boys named our lunch to be, was cooked in this from around 6:30pm until about 1pm the following day.
Of course the boys had to cut up lots of things to stuff into "Phillip". This included onions, pineapple, sausage links, apples and lots of garlic cloves. Dave (the professional hog roaster) was getting it ready to be stuffed.
Stuffing "Phillip"After its all stuffed. This is what they stick through the hog to roast it. This way they are able to turn it to allow even cooking. Them stuffing the pole through the hog.
After it was all ready, it had to be sewn up with wire.Then they had to lift it from the table to the roaster. It was 171 pounds of hog!They cooked it at this temp. It cooked from about 6:30pm until 1pm the following day!
For the first few hours, they were going to smoke it with some wood. Cherry, Walnut and Maple wood.
Starting to smoke!Then we all stood around and watched the smoke pour outta the roaster! It smelled good, I will admit ;)
I missed this part, because I went over to Matt's sisters house to help her get things ready for the block party. But what they do is after they are done smoking the hog with the wood and get the "skin" charred" up on the outside. (I say "skin" b/c its against the law now that you can not roast a hog with the head or actual skin left on. So Dave made a new skin by rubbing on a bunch of spices and things)

So after all that, they wrap it in tin foil. Usually three to four layers of it, so that the meat does not fall out when it begins to tender up.Cooking on the roaster in its tin foil. Its all done cooking! Literally, all the meat was hanging off the hog in that tinfoil. There was a LOT of bacon grease! I wanted to throw some green beans in ;) The first look at the cooked hog. This is the ham. Phillips leg fell off! lolThe bacon!
I was imagining strips of bacon lol. Definatly not what you buy at the grocery store!Pulling all the meet off. It was so tender, there wasn't much pulling!
And that is the story of Phillip the hog!

I wasn't going to eat any, becuase it was just all to weird (especially since they NAMED it lol)

But in the end, I grabbed a little pulled meat that they had put bbq on and had a taste. And it was tasty! :) I'm glad I got to witness all this! It was fun!!

No comments:

Post a Comment